AAQG Meeting 03.20.18

Posted in Business on March 21st, 2018

Linda welcomed everyone to the March meeting and announced the open board positions.

There were 39 members and 0 guests in attendance.

We got started right away with our program of “School Days”. There were 6 stations and groups moved from station to station.  Thanks to all who presented:  Peggy Vespestad, Kathy Evers, Ramona Tapper and Sheila Arney, Carol Westercamp, Tami Watts- McPhail, and Jean Taft.

Janet DeJager gave a presentation on “How to Make a Successful Quilt Show”. The key ingredient is people!

Food- 3 or 4 people can work together for the food area. They would be responsible for the budget, menu, getting volunteers, or look for sponsors or caters.

Advertising- how to use advertising to draw in the crowds, post on facebook, is creative to get the word out there about the show.

Bed Turning- coordinates this special feature of the show. What should be on the form for entries, the stories that are told as each quilt is turned.  This is a fun story telling of the past to the present.

Raffle tickets- the sheets for selling are on the front table- get your peeps to sign the sheet and pay- these will be turned into the red tickets for the drawing. This saves time when selling a group of 5 or more.

Volunteers- last year not all the 2 hour slots were filled. This year just sign up for morning or afternoon and the quilt committee will assign a spot for you.  Worried about having to stand for 2 hours?  No worries there are a lot of sitting duties to help out.  Did you hear we need people to help anywhere!

The quilt entries form will be on the member page soon. The goal is to have 200 quilts- this means that each member needs to turn in 2.5 quilts.  These are due at the June meeting (June 12, 2018)

The theme is Christmas in July- that being said all you have to do is have a Christmas theme quilt- pretty easy. There will be a guild area- this will showcase the guild challenges and quilts made with the KISS blocks.  The guild area quilts will not be voted on just to show what the guild does.

To drape or not to drape vote will be in April. Keep in mind with the drape it makes it easier for the flow of traffic and pinning the numbers to the quilts.  It also is an expense for the guild- so you must decide what you feel is more important.

Retreat- One month from now we will be at retreat- how awesome is that? The sign up for machine cleaning and massages are at the table or contact Cecilie Vogt to sign up.  The machine lady wants to have 10 people sign up to make it worth her time since she is coming from Des Moines.  The massage lady will be available morning or afternoon but needs a break sometime in there.

The directors at large announced the challenge will be announced in April and due in June. Fabric will be handed out next month along with the rules.  Jean and Louise are still working those out.  There won’t be a charge for the fabric.

The meeting continued with door prizes, a show and tell which is so inspirational to get back into your sewing room and ended with treats.

Piecefully submitted,

Ramona Tapper

AAQG 03.05.2018 Board Meeting

Posted in Business on March 11th, 2018

Members present:  Anita Allwood, Janet DeJagar, Linda Schlenker, Ramona Tapper, Cecilie Vogt, Kim McAllister, Jean Taft, Carol Westercamp, Beth Hromyak and Ginger Green.

Linda called the meeting to order.

The December and February minutes were passed out and there was a motion to pass them by Jean, and seconded by Janet.

Ginger gave the treasury report.

Linda read the note from Debbie (who was unable to attend) concerning the School Days for the March meeting.

Tami Watts- Wool applique, Ramona Tapper- Accquilt Cutter, Jean Taft- KISS Block, Kathy Evers- Crocheted Prayer Shawl

The Cupboard is having an embroidery day and the cost is $75 for members and $80 for non-members.  This will be in conjunction with the April meeting as she is the speaker.

Jean talked about the KISS block that she will be demoing for the school days in March.  It is 3 triangles in a square.  The Director at Large challenge will be announced in April with a deadline in June.  The last KISS block will be in either April or May.    The question was asked if these blocks could be brought back to the meeting and packaged up for someone to complete a donation quilt.  Yes, was the answer, however, this has not be brought up at the meeting for the entire guild to know.

Only 2 people have signed up for treats in March- so more people are needed.  April has a small group signed up so we should be good there.

Retreat- 18 have signed up and paid.  Payment needs to be in by the March meeting- the April meeting will be too late; since the deadline is April 4.  There will be a massage person and charges $70 per hour.  The sewing machine lady will charge $65 plus tax and accepts cash or check (no credit cards).  When signing up for the cleaning- also indicate what kind of machine you have.

Carol brought up a question concerning the “Every quilt has a story” feature she has been doing on Facebook.  Should quilts be featured by former members?  The answer was yes- since names aren’t used and some were photos that were taken at the quilt show.

Items are being taken to Winterset for sale at the Quilt Museum.  Last month only one candy bag sold.  This continues to get the AAQG name out in the community.

Donation quilts- 5 quilts were taken to Brother’s Keepers several larger ones went to Youth Homes of Mid America; 12 were taken to Kadie’s Kloset.  There are still 40 in the storage unit.

Janet DeJagar still needs a co-chair for the Quilt Show.  She is working 70 hours a week and will be in Denver a lot with her new position at work.  Kim, was going to be the chair next year will be working closely with Janet this year to learn the ropes of the quilt show.  For the food- Janet is unable to find an organization to do this.  Several meetings ago there was discussion about selling kits then what doesn’t sell to have members make the kits for sale at Santa North Pole Village. The kits would also be a higher price point- would people really purchase them?  After pricing how much a kit would cost and the kit not being was displayed this idea was nixed.  No one has stepped forward to head up Santa North Pole Village yet.  Janet announced that there were 8 vendors committed – in the past there have been 20 vendors.  She failed to get the reminder e-mail out to the vendors in a timely manner and will try to get it out and set the date in the future this next week.

If there are only 8 vendors present at the quilt show the show will take a major loss.  In April there will be a vote to drape or not to drape.  Janet handed out a sheet listing the pros and cons of the drape.  Long story short there is about $1000 difference in price.  She encouraged members to attend the committee meetings to help with the quilt show.

The meeting was adjourned.

Piecefully submitted,

Ramona Tapper


AAQG 02.06.2018 Board Meeting

Posted in Business on March 8th, 2018

Members present: Linda Schlenker, Ginger Green, Beth Hromyak, Carol Westercamp, Jean Taft, Cecilie Vogt, Terri Henkel, Louise Whitlow, Janet DeJager, Anita Allwood.

Linda called the meeting to order.

Treasurers Beth Hromyak and Ginger Geren passed out updated spreadsheet. There is concern that we are lower in income particularly from membership dues than projected.

Program Chair Debbie was unable to attend but had sent along a message about the Feb. and March meetings. February’s speaker Dawn Cavanaugh requested that members bring quilts for judging. The March meeting will be the 3rd Tuesday due to Ankeny School’s spring break. Deb would like a few more presenters. Currently the following members are presenting:

Tami Watts—wool applique

Ramona Tapper—AccuCut

Jean Taft—-the next KISS block

Kathy Evers—crocheted Prayer Shawl

Program chair elect Anita Allwood discussed the progress her committee is making in lining up speakers for 2018-19. She also discussed some ideas meetings and possible collaboration on speakers with other guilds and local quilt shops.

Director-at-large Jean Taft will be assisting with the President’s challenge which is due this meeting. Please bring completed projects in bag. First prize will be a “Quality Box”. They will be discussing with Deb the timing of presentation of the next KISS block. The director-at-large challenge will be presented in April with completion in June.

Update on the April Retreat from Cecilie Vogt. 9 people have paid. There are at least 15 indicating they will attend. Retreat will be open to non-members after the March meeting. A sewing machine repair person has been located. She will do cleaning and minor repairs. Base cost will be about $60. She will be available Fri evening and Sat. A massage person has also been found to replace the lady we’ve had for the past few years.

Quilt show update- Janet DeJager, Cecilie Vogt and Giner Geren. Cecilie is contacting non-profits to see if there is an interest in collaborating on the food for the quilt show.

Ginger Geren presented ideas for quilt patterns to kit and sell at the quilt show Kits not sold will be made for sale at North Pole village. She will be asking members to donate specific types of fabric. Some fabric may be purchased. Janet is l looking for volunteers to lead the advertising effort and vendor coordination.

There will be a “Christmas in July” category. The only requirement is the Christmas items are clearly visible on the quilt. For example a quilt that is a traditional design in red and green is not acceptable – a quilt in red and green containing Christmas tree or other symbols commonly associated with Christmas would be. There will be a non-prize category for the challenges and KISS projects. Janet will be presenting information about pipe and drape and other costs at the meeting. The next quilt show meeting is Feb. 19 at the church. Everyone is welcome to attend! Janet is continuing to work on setting up vendor led classes for the quilt show..

Communications chair Carol Westercamp will begin Facebook posts on the quilt show. Janet DeJagar will be creating a Facebook quilt show Event. We will be doing sponsored FaceBook ads for the quilt show.

The Fundraising position is open – this could be a group or an individual. See Linda for details how you can help the group with this.

President Linda Schlenker indicated there are approximately 55 donation quilts so far this year. She presented the letter from Holy Trinity indicating that the Guild will need to find a new location to hold meetings after July 2018. She presented a proposal to move the board, small group, and monthly meetings to the Ankeny First United Methodist church at 206 SW Walnut (ie the Uptown location). Anita Allwood moved that we accept this location.

Louise Whitlow seconded the motion and the whole board concurred. Linda will continue to work with AFUMC. The first meeting in the new location is currently set for Aug 2018.

Anita Allwood presented information on various potential quilt show sites her committee has visited over the past few months. She will be presenting this information at the guild meeting. She also wants the board to meet to discuss and determine the future of quilt shows/fundraising. This will concur within the next 2 months.

Apparently we had people bringing animals to the guild meeting last month. The board has decided that this is not appropriate (we will be also checking the church’s policy). Beginning with the February meeting anyone bringing an animal will be asked to emove the animal from the building.

Jean motioned for the meeting to adjourn and Janet seconded.

Submitted by

Linda Schlenker

AAQG 02.13.2018 Meeting

Posted in Business on February 14th, 2018

There were 35 members present and one guest.

Linda welcomed us to the February meeting and made the following announcements:

The Lutheran Church has a policy- there are to be no pets coming into the church, this is their policy and must be followed since we are guests in the church.

Holy Trinity Lutheran Church is growing and their outreach programs are expanding they need all the space as well as all the chairs. We were asked to find a new meeting place beginning in August. The First Methodist Church located at 206 SW Walnut Street will be our new home. There is a large fellowship room and parking on the north end, front of the church and across the street. They also have a not pet policy enforced. They want us out of the building by 9:30 pm. We will have use of the kitchen; the cost is a little less that what we are paying now.

This was the month for the President’s challenge- which was to create “Linda’s Forest”   that was accomplished! There were 19 entries and all were fabulous! Polly Anderson won but the rest were equally in tallies. Great job ladies!

Our speaker was former member of AAQG, Dawn Cavanaugh, and National Educator for APQS. The program was “Judge for Yourself”. She gave us a lot of information what the judges look for in a quilt- this would be in the 3 minutes they are judging your quilt. Dawn explained that judges really want to build you up and to improve your quilting talent. But if you the quilter love what you created then it’s ok. The quilt police are the ones that say: “no you can’t do that”. We got to be the judges of some quilts and what we noticed what needed to be improved on. Some members brought in quilts for the group to judge. A very informative meeting and a lot of information for all that attended.

Retreat update: there will be a machine cleaning person- A Plus from Carroll will be coming in and the cost will be <$70. Cash or check is accepted. There will also be a massage person. Sign up for both were at the meeting.

Quilt Show update: This year we will have quilt kits for sale and Ginger showed a couple and will have the fabric requirements next month. Both were lap size and easy to make with big pieces.

Quilt Show committee meetings will be held Monday’s after the guild meeting at the church at 7 pm. These are open to everyone in the guild.

Next month we will vote to drape or not to drape.

Director at large: There was no KISS block this month but stay tuned them will be doing a demo next month at the School House Days.

Door prizes were awarded.

Next month the meeting will be March 20 due to Spring Break for the Ankeny Schools.

The meeting finished up with Show and Tell and refreshments.

Piecefully submitted,

Ramona Tapper

AAQG 01.09.2018 Meeting

Posted in Business on January 11th, 2018

Linda welcomed the group for coming and made a special welcome to the guests and new members. The open positions were announced. Linda wanted the group to know that if Ankeny schools were canceled because of the weather there would not be a AAQG meeting that night. We want everyone to be safe!

Ann had some kits prepared for donation quilts and the group is encouraged to take a kit and make a quilt.

The speaker was Peg Pennell from Nebraska- and she LOVES a challenge. A challenge gives her a deadline to work with also stating what needs to be in the quilt. The challenge to get it done while following the rules of the challenge. Thru her experience she has taken the rules to fit her project- then the next year the rules were tweaked a little! Each challenge presents an opportunity to learn something – maybe a new technique or using a different type of fabric. She started quilting in the ‘70’s and taught herself to machine quilt- this was done on a domestic sewing machine. By the ‘90’s she was teaching machine quilting.

Update on the Quilt show- Janet learned that Summerfest is a different weekend so she is in the process of working with the FFA folks to get the quilt show date changed. She also wanted to know the membership thoughts and will take a vote of reducing the pipe and drape on the larger quilts to save some money. This proposition brought on a lot of questions that will need to be researched. Stay tuned as she finds out more information. Anita and some others went to several venues in Ankeny to get costs and look at the space for future quilt show.

Anyone that wants to present at the School Days in March, contact Debra Groff. February’s program is Dawn Cavanaugh from Ankeny- this meeting will be March 20 because of spring break.

Carol wants to have everyone’s photo so she can publish a photo directory. This will NOT be posted on the website. We respect your right to privacy. When a quilt is posted on facebook please comment on it- this keeps us in front of the group and brings up more discussions on quilts. We need your stories on the quilts you post if you don’t want your name published that is fine but we all have a story to tell.

If anyone wants to step up to chair the committee for Santa North Polk Village this would be a great opportunity for getting the Ankeny guild name in front of the community and sell raffle tickets for the quilt show.

Retreat is right around the corner- the dates April 19 to April 22. Sign up started this month. Cecilie has brown bag mystery block for the retreat. There will be a block lottery at the retreat. She is working on getting a massage therapist and a sewing machine cleaner.

There needs to be sign up for February and March.

The director at large showed the KISS block. The door prizes were awarded. Show and tell was great to see and then the fellowship with refreshments.

Piecefully submitted,

Ramona Tapper

AAQG 12.12.2017 Meeting

Posted in Business on December 14th, 2017

There were 30 members present and that includes one new member for the annual Christmas potluck meeting.

Linda welcomed us to the December meeting and went over a few items that the board had discussed.

  • The minutes are on the website after each board meeting as well as the regular meetings.
  • There will be a quilt show meeting the 3rd Monday in December (12.18.17) at the Panera on Delaware Street to discuss coordinator positions. It was going to be at the church but the church is unavailable in December.
  • Guests are welcome to show their quilts at meetings but not promote their business.

The food line was then opened up- YUM!! Deb shared the answers to the Christmas movie trivia quiz she had handed out as members signed in. The prize went to the gal that had 6 correct- good job! We then learned how to make a folded star with 4 strips of fabric. There were many successes – a few failures but lots of fun and determination to complete a star!

The meeting ended with a very brief show and tell. Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!

Piecefully submitted,

Ramona Tapper

AAQG 12.05.2017 Board Meeting

Posted in Business on December 6th, 2017

Members present: Linda Schlenker, Ramona Tapper, Ginger Green, Beth Hromyak, Carol Westercamp, Jean Taft, Cecilie Vogt, Terri Henkel, Louise Whitlow, Janet DeJager and Terri Henkels.

Linda called the meeting to order and last months were handed out, a motion to approve by Jean Taft and seconded by Louise.

Debbie was unable to attend but had sent along a message of what had been done for the potluck next month. The Directors at large discussed what needed to be purchased for the event. Be sure to bring serving utensils for your dish as well as a beverage.

There was some discussion on having the board minutes available to the members. The minutes are posted on our website at within a week of the meeting. A few hard copies will be available at the sign in table; please don’t take these if you have access to a computer. Members are welcome to attend the meetings as they are open to the public. The minutes are also posted after the regular meeting so everyone can see what was discussed.

The printed copies of the directory will be available at the December meeting- this will not be the directory with your photos. The photo directory will be available on line- our communication person is handling that- and there are still some photos that she needs to keep this current.

The directors at large won’t be having a new Keep It Sew Simple block in December, but will have copies of the first 2 blocks. This will resume again in January.

Update on the April Retreat- the check has been sent in to reserve the dates. With the passing of Kevin, our sewing machine tech the retreat gals are looking for a replacement. He will be a hard guy to replace as he has helped us for a long time.

Quilt show update- there will be the first meeting the 3rd Monday in December (12.18.17)at the church to discuss coordinator positions. Everyone is welcome to attend! Janet would like to have kits available for sale at the show for Christmas items (baby quilts, wall hangings, or table runners). These need to be quilt shop quality so whatever doesn’t sell at the show can be made for the Santa North Pole Village craft show in November. Something new this year will be vendor led classes. This will be up to the vendor to promote the class at the show; in return we will promote the shop that is sponsoring the class. Watch for more details as this unfolds.

Janet is getting estimates on not having the drapes behind the quilts at the show, this may save some money but how would it look to see back of quilt against another back of a quilt. She also mentioned that the cost of the pipe and drape is almost the same as renting the venue where the quilt show is held.

We need your quilt stories, says the communication department. We need your support to post items on our facebook page to get the word out there about our group. You are welcome to share a story and not have your name attached to it – just see Carol for details on that. We all have a story and others would love to hear it!

The fundraising position is open – this could be a group or an individual. See Linda for details how you can help the group with this.

There was quite a lengthy discussion on show and tell. The question was is it for members only or can a guest come and show quilts? If a guest shows quilts should it be their work or should it be work they have done for someone else. Are they showing it to advance their business?

Louise motioned for the meeting to adjourn and Janet seconded the motion.

Piecefully submitted,

Ramona Tapper

AAQG 11.14.17 Meeting

Posted in Business on November 16th, 2017

AAQG Meeting 11.14.17

Linda called the meeting to order and announced that there will be a suggestion box at the meetings but she forgot to bring it. It will be brought to the board meeting and we will try to solve the issues that are mentioned.  The board meetings are open to anyone and are held on the first Tuesday of the month at 7 PM, here at the church but upstairs.

There were 55 members and 2 guests present. The guests were welcomed.

The President’s challenge was announced. Create Linda’s Forest.  Anything with a tree- defined as  it has to have a trunk and a branch.  Any median can be used- paint, quilt, drawn as well as any size.   No size requirement, just a finished product.  This is due at the February meeting.

The Directors at Large hung up the name tags for the Name Tag Challenge- this was a name tag and it had to have a spool of thread on it. There were 8 entries and Ramona Tapper won with her name tag.

The donation quilts have been distributed to several organizations and the drive for more donation quilts is on. There were kits for quilters to take and complete and if you need fabric to go with one contact Ann Finger or Linda and they will set you up.

The program was the shop owners from the Bondurant shop- Off the Trails. They showed us a lot of new items from the Houston Market.  They realize we all have so much fabric in our stash so when they went to market they were looking for Stash Buster patterns- and they were very successful!  They showed us upcoming Block of the Months, Stash Buster Club projects and other things they were working on at the shop.  They are so excited about what they are doing and their love of quilting you just have to check out their shop!

The December meeting will start at 6:30 since it will be our potluck. Bring a dish to share as well as your own beverage.  Also don’t forget your serving spoon or fork for your dish to share!  We will be making a craft so you will also need a pair of scissors.

The Program Chair elect would like any ideas or techniques that you would like to see in future meetings or any speakers that you would like to see.

Anita had a sheet at the sign in table with facts and figures about the quilt show- be sure to read this and if you have any input be sure to contact her.

The Santa North Pole Village raised about $1000 and the items that didn’t sell were brought back to the meeting for members to pick up or they will go into the Country Store bucket.

Refreshments are needed for January- or we will all go away hungry! The Directors at Large showed the next Keep it Sew Simple Block- a disappearing 9 patch.  Louise showed us a lot of versions of various ways to cut the block.

Door prizes were awarded – don’t forget you must have a name tag on to get a door prize!

Show and tell completed the program with some quilt eye candy for us to enjoy!

Refreshments and fellowship concluded the program.

Piecefully submitted,

Ramona Tapper