AAQG 06.12.2018 Meeting

Posted in Business on June 14th, 2018

Linda called the meeting to order – there were 42 members present and 2 guests.

There are several board members that will be going off the board after August so if you want to make a difference in the guild please contact Linda Schlenker for more details.

The August meeting will be at the Methodist Church- treats and fellowship will begin at 6:30 and the meeting will start at 7. We need to be out of the church by 9 because they lock the doors at that time.

The Challenge had 18 entries and they all looked fantastic! 24 fabric pieces were handed out so that is a great turn out.  The top 3 were awarded a prize.

The speaker was Diane Tomlinson who has worked with Fons and Porter for 10 years. She showed several quilts that she was given a fabric line and had to create a quilt to showcase the fabric.  She loves to teach and is a teacher at the Sewing Expo.

No one has signed up for treats for July; the signup sheet was on the front table or contact Jean Taft.

Linda announced that the Evening Stars will be in charge of Santa North Pole Village and Jean discussed that we need to focus on our audience and consider the market for this high end craft show. The request is for high quality merchandise with quality construction.  Since this is before Thanksgiving the items can be fall themed, Christmas items, trendy items and manly items.  There will be 3 price points:  $100, $50-$75, and $5 to $10.  The team also requested nothing made with panel- everything needs to be pieced.  They plan on having framed quilt blocks, some ladders that are used for quilt racks.  Christmas ornaments, wine bags, table toppers and runners.  The cancer quilts – with the panel or without the panel is a really nice size and plan on selling these for $100.  If in doubt what the ladies want- ask Jean.

Anita talked about what should be done with the quilt show and fund raising- she handed out the list of suggestions and these will be voted on in July and August- only one vote per person. There was some feedback on the ideas.

Janet thanked everyone for their help with the quilt show in advance. There have not been enough raffle tickets sold to cover the cost of the quilt as of the meeting.  She showed the sheet for taking names and address and she can convert them onto labels.  The entry forms are on line- if you don’t have access to a computer let Janet know and she will get you a hard copy.  The sign-up sheets are here – see the quilt show table or contact Janet.  Items for the country store:  panels made into quilts, baby items, small quilts as well as special rulers that you don’t need anymore, or a kit (make sure everything is in this bundle). Ann has 6 tubs of items for the Country Store.  If you still have items either bring them to the show or contact Ann.

Bed turning: Kathy has only 3 entries and was hoping to have 10. Last year this was a huge draw to the show.  These are quilts that have a story. The form is on line or contact Kathy Evers if you want your quilt to participate.

Anita has been taking the raffle quilt to the various quilt stores in the area.

Linda announced since it is Christmas in July she would like volunteers to make Christmas cookies to sell in the food booth.

The advertising has been done thru Facebook by Janet, they will also make an appearance on KCCI as they have done in the past.

Quilted Cupboard will be a drop off site for quilt but make sure you put it in a pillowcase. If you want your pillow case back be sure to put your name on it.  They will start accepting them Sunday, July 1 thru Tuesday, July 3.  They will be closed for the 4th of July.

Need some volunteers for treats in July.

Door prizes were awarded- remember you have to have a name tag on to win a prize! Show and tell followed with refreshments and fellowship.

The next meeting will be July 17- note that this is the 3rd Tuesday in July.

Piecefully submitted,

Ramona Tapper

AAQG Board Meeting 06.05.18

Posted in Business on June 6th, 2018

Members present: Linda Schlenker, Ramona Tapper, Ginger Green, Beth Hromyak, Carol Westercamp, Debbie Groff, Anita Allwood, Jean Taft, Louise Whitlow, Janet DeJager, Cecilie Vogt, and Terri Henkels.

Linda called the meeting to order.

The May minutes were passed out and Louise approved and Terri seconded the motion.

The treasurer report was discussed- This last month there were miscellaneous expenses- retreat went over budget just a little. There were some expenses for the quilt show as well as money coming in from the vendors.

Janet reported that there were 57 quilts signed up on line for the show and more came in tonight! She will have the hard copy forms Tuesday.  Anita is taking the raffle quilt to different quilt shops before the show.  Sunday, July 1 the Cupboard in Ankeny will start to hold quilts for the show- remember they will be closed the 4th but then open the 5th for more quilts.  Janet’s sister will be creating some videos for facebook with a link to the quilt show event.  There has been some buzz with sharing the raffle quilt on social media- this is getting more people to see it and purchase raffle tickets!  Linda has the food prep under control and helpers with cooking the meat ahead of time.  She also wanted to add sugar cookies to the menu for more of a Christmas theme.  The table decorations will also be Christmas themed- Debbie will be doing those.  There are 14 or 15 vendors and they will all be in the same room instead of mixed in with the quilts as before.  On the volunteer list- each slot has at least one person signed up- there is still time to sign up.

Anita held a special AAQG board meeting on May 21, 2018 to discuss possible changes in fund raising methods. 11 board members were present as well as 2 guild members.  There was a list of 21 suggestions.  Anita will present several recommendations on Tuesday and then in July there will be a vote what to do.

The challenge is this Tuesday and the top 3 will be awarded prizes.

Santa North Pole Village- the Evening Star Group has decided to take this on. Jean Taft will be the spokesperson for the group and will let the guild know what they want and what they do not want for the one day event.  This is huge and our audience is very different than the quilt show and we have to bring our A game to the table.  Quality product means higher dollar revenue with 3 price points.  Janet will be bringing the cancer panels to the meeting- and will continue to sell these quilts and if you don’t want to use the panel then making the quilt without the panel is a great option.

Retreat- Terri got an extension for locking in the date for the retreat until September.

Anita motions the meeting to adjourn and Jean seconded the motion.

Piecefully submitted,

Ramona Tapper

AAQG 05.08.2018 Meeting

Posted in Business on May 9th, 2018

Linda called the meeting to order – there were 39 members present and 2 guests.

A huge thank you went out to the gals in charge of the retreat: Cecilie Vogt, MaryLee Martz, Kim McAllister and Terri Henkels. What an awesome time we had!

Spring is in the air and so are the quilt shows and sales in our great state of Iowa. See the table for more information.

Our speaker was Esther Heisman or was it Lori Triplett? She gave a presentation of Quilts on the Prairie. Esther showed us quilts from the 1800’s that were. in mint condition. As we listened and saw the quilts we were amazed at what women back then created with limited resources. Historical tidbits were sprinkled in which made for a great evening of learning about our past.

Anita announced that May 21 at 6:30 (Monday) there will be a meeting at the church to discuss fundraising for the guild. All the board members are encouraged to attend and any members are also welcome.

Quilt Show update: There have not been enough raffle tickets sold to cover the cost of the quilt. Janet showed the sheet for taking names and address and she can convert them onto labels.  The entry forms are on line- if you don’t have access to a computer let Janet know and she will get you a hard copy.  The June meeting is the deadline for entries.  The food coordinator for the show needs help to decide the menu and what prep work needs to be done.  The sign-up sheets are here – see the quilt show table or contact Janet.  This is Ann’s 6th year in charge of the Country Store- she would like someone to step up and take over this position next year.  Items for the country store:  panels made into quilts, baby items, small quilts as well as special rulers that you don’t need anymore, or a kit (make sure everything is in this bundle).

June will be the Director at Large challenge. There is still fabric available- see Jean if you need more.  The minimum size is 10”x12” and it must be quilted and finished. The rest is up to you- 3 prizes will be awarded.

Need some volunteers for treats in July.

Janet DeJager has purchased 50 cancer panels from Block Party Studios and if you want to make a quilt for Country Store please see Janet to sign out a panel.

Door prizes were awarded- remember you have to have a name tag on to win a prize! Show and tell followed with refreshments and fellowship.

The next meeting will be June 12.

Piecefully submitted.

Ramona Tapper

AAQG 05.01.18 Board Meeting

Posted in Business on May 3rd, 2018

Members present: Linda Schlenker, Janet DeJager, Debbie Graff, Terri  Henkels, Louise Whitlow, Ramona Tapper, Kim McAllister, Carol Werstercamp, Jean Taft, Cecilie Vogt, Anita Allwood, Ginger Green and Beth Hromyak.

Linda called the meeting to order and last month’s minutes were passed out. Janet approved and Louise 2nd the motion.

The treasury report was discussed- another check from Winterset, the shirts. Expenses were the challenge fabric this will be updated next month.

There is construction going on at the church so use the south doors.

There is still challenge fabric so it will be at the May meeting- these are due in June. The treat list looks good for this month.

Retreat- great turnout- 31 signed up, and all stayed all weekend but 1. A huge thank you to all the helpers could not have done it without you!  We also got rid of the rest of the AAQG shirts so that tote doesn’t need to be carried from place to place.  Next year it will be the first weekend of May at the same location.

Quilt show- need entries to be turned in as well as ticket sales. If you have sold any raffle tickets the money can be turned in to Janet.  The bed turning forms are on the membership page.  The need for Country store items and volunteers are needed to work the show.  Signup sheets will be at the meeting.

Kim has been working on the theme for next year’s show and was getting input from the quilt show team to see what first steps are.

Anita is working on getting together times for the board to meet for a fund raising meeting.

Some of the donation quilts will be going to a nursing home in Norwalk- Linda has been working on this.

Linda is still looking for someone to step up for the Santa North Pole Village or if we will be part of it this year. There are going to be several positions that will be open come September so if you want to be part of the decisions of the guild- step up!

Janet motioned for the meeting to end and Kim seconded the motion. The meet adjourned.

Piecefully submitted,

Ramona Tapper

AAQG 04.10.18 Meeting

Posted in Business on April 11th, 2018

Linda welcomed everyone to the March meeting and announced the open board positions. She encouraged someone to step up for the Santa North Pole Village position as this has potential to be a huge fund raiser for the guild.

There were 39 members and 0 guests in attendance.

Cindy Peters from the Quilted Cupboard in Ankeny was our program. She showed us quite a few purses and bags and pointed out different stabilizers to use to make your bag stand up or just be soft.  Then part 2 of her presentation was on the Accuquilt Cutter and she did a demo on how easy it is to cut those 2 ½ “ strips that are used for binding or in some of the bags she had showed us.

Janet did a re-cap on the quilt show: The member page on the website has been updated with the categories listed, the issue of the drape or no drape, Raffle tickets, the entry forms for the quilts, the volunteer sign up, and ideas for the country store items.  Check this out there is a lot of information posted.  Linda Schlenker volunteered to be the food chair for the show.  Anita will take the raffle quilt on the tour of quilt shops.  Anyone wanting to help co-chair this year with Janet or to help Kim next year would be appreciated.  Turn in raffle ticket in May and forms for the quilts need to be turned in by June.  Some printed forms are on the sign in table otherwise they are on the member page.  The vote for drape or not to drape was held and there will be drape.  The plea was out to please volunteer we need you to make this a successful show!

Quilt retreat- next Thursday we will be heading to Manson, Iowa for 4 days of sewing! Don’t forget to bring your own towels!  The massages and sewing machine ladies will be there and the sign-up sheets if you haven’t had a chance to sign up.

Jean showed the 5th and final KISS block and how to make this block- Louise and Jean had a couple completed quilts using these blocks so we got to see them!

Get ready for a Challenge! The fabric was ready and the rules for this project- these are due in June so get your thinking caps on!  Use the given fabric and create something at least 12” x 10” and have it finished complete with binding and you are ready to compete.

The meeting continued with door prizes, a show and tell and ended with treats.

Piecefully submitted,

Ramona Tapper

AAQG 04.03.2018 Board Meeting

Posted in Business on April 4th, 2018

Members present: Debbie Graft, Janet DeJager, Cecilie Vogt, Terri Henkels, Carol Westercamp, Louise Whitlow, Ginger Green, Beth Hromyak, Linda Schlenker, Jean Taft, and Ramona Tapper.

Linda called the meeting to order and the minutes from March were handed out and read. Jean Taft approved the minutes and Ginger seconded the motion.

Janet brought up the issue: should the board minutes be published on the website. Ramona defended this by wanting the discussions of the board to be transparent for the group and will continue to post them.  There is nothing to hide.

Treasury handed out the financials and has some checks to deposit. Retreat checks will go to the bank on Saturday.

Cecilie is hoping for good weather for the upcoming retreat! 31 have signed up and will be there all weekend- only one is attending for part of the weekend.  There is still room for the massages and sewing machine cleaning.  The sign up will be at the meeting next week as well as at the retreat.

Terri is checking into the Clover Wood Camp and Retreat Center in Madrid. She wants to see if there is an acceptable place for a retreat for quilters; enough light and power!

Carol brought up starting a closed group on Facebook to get more discussions going instead of just likes on Facebook. This would mean that anyone in the group could post an item not just the administrator.  Janet discussed the difference between a closed group and just a group on Facebook.  Carol said there were 400-500 followers.

Jean announced who was bringing treats for April and only 3 have signed up for May.

Jean will announce the challenge at the meeting and it will be due in June. Kiss block #5 will be handed out.

Cindy Peters will be the program for April- she will discuss some of the purses and the Accuquilt Cutter. The machine embroidery workshop was canceled.  May our speaker will be Lori Triplett and the program is called “Pieces of the Prairie”.

Janet discussed the progress of the quilt show, here is the summary:

The member page on the website has been updated with the categories listed, the issue of the drape or no drape, Raffle tickets, the entry forms for the quilts, the volunteer sign up, and ideas for the country store items. Check this out there is a lot of information posted.

Linda Schlenker volunteered to be the food chair for the show. 13 Vendors have signed up to attend the show- a big thanks to Debbie for calling the vendors for Janet.  Anita will take the raffle quilt on the tour of quilt shops. Anyone wanting to help co-chair this year with Janet or to help Kim next year would be appreciated.

Raffle tickets can be sold now, April will be the voting to drape or not to drape with a simple yes or no. The goal is to have 200 quilts for the show.

Santa North Pole Village- still looking for someone to head this up. Quilts are needed for this and any help is welcome.  Ginger has some patterns that would work.  The kit idea that was discussed earlier is a no go.

Anita would like to take a Saturday or Sunday afternoon to discuss what can be done to fund raise for the guild. A date was not decided on as there were many conflicts with schedules.

Debbie motioned the meeting to adjourn and Janet seconded the motion.

Peicefully submitted,

Ramona Tapper

AAQG 03.20.2018 Meeting

Posted in Business on March 21st, 2018

Linda welcomed everyone to the March meeting and announced the open board positions.

There were 39 members and 0 guests in attendance.

We got started right away with our program of “School Days”. There were 6 stations and groups moved from station to station.  Thanks to all who presented:  Peggy Vespestad, Kathy Evers, Ramona Tapper and Sheila Arney, Carol Westercamp, Tami Watts- McPhail, and Jean Taft.

Janet DeJager gave a presentation on “How to Make a Successful Quilt Show”. The key ingredient is people!

Food- 3 or 4 people can work together for the food area. They would be responsible for the budget, menu, getting volunteers, or look for sponsors or caters.

Advertising- how to use advertising to draw in the crowds, post on facebook, is creative to get the word out there about the show.

Bed Turning- coordinates this special feature of the show. What should be on the form for entries, the stories that are told as each quilt is turned.  This is a fun story telling of the past to the present.

Raffle tickets- the sheets for selling are on the front table- get your peeps to sign the sheet and pay- these will be turned into the red tickets for the drawing. This saves time when selling a group of 5 or more.

Volunteers- last year not all the 2 hour slots were filled. This year just sign up for morning or afternoon and the quilt committee will assign a spot for you.  Worried about having to stand for 2 hours?  No worries there are a lot of sitting duties to help out.  Did you hear we need people to help anywhere!

The quilt entries form will be on the member page soon. The goal is to have 200 quilts- this means that each member needs to turn in 2.5 quilts.  These are due at the June meeting (June 12, 2018)

The theme is Christmas in July- that being said all you have to do is have a Christmas theme quilt- pretty easy. There will be a guild area- this will showcase the guild challenges and quilts made with the KISS blocks.  The guild area quilts will not be voted on just to show what the guild does.

To drape or not to drape vote will be in April. Keep in mind with the drape it makes it easier for the flow of traffic and pinning the numbers to the quilts.  It also is an expense for the guild- so you must decide what you feel is more important.

Retreat- One month from now we will be at retreat- how awesome is that? The sign up for machine cleaning and massages are at the table or contact Cecilie Vogt to sign up.  The machine lady wants to have 10 people sign up to make it worth her time since she is coming from Des Moines.  The massage lady will be available morning or afternoon but needs a break sometime in there.

The directors at large announced the challenge will be announced in April and due in June. Fabric will be handed out next month along with the rules.  Jean and Louise are still working those out.  There won’t be a charge for the fabric.

The meeting continued with door prizes, a show and tell which is so inspirational to get back into your sewing room and ended with treats.

Piecefully submitted,

Ramona Tapper

AAQG 03.05.2018 Board Meeting

Posted in Business on March 11th, 2018

Members present:  Anita Allwood, Janet DeJagar, Linda Schlenker, Ramona Tapper, Cecilie Vogt, Kim McAllister, Jean Taft, Carol Westercamp, Beth Hromyak and Ginger Green.

Linda called the meeting to order.

The December and February minutes were passed out and there was a motion to pass them by Jean, and seconded by Janet.

Ginger gave the treasury report.

Linda read the note from Debbie (who was unable to attend) concerning the School Days for the March meeting.

Tami Watts- Wool applique, Ramona Tapper- Accquilt Cutter, Jean Taft- KISS Block, Kathy Evers- Crocheted Prayer Shawl

The Cupboard is having an embroidery day and the cost is $75 for members and $80 for non-members.  This will be in conjunction with the April meeting as she is the speaker.

Jean talked about the KISS block that she will be demoing for the school days in March.  It is 3 triangles in a square.  The Director at Large challenge will be announced in April with a deadline in June.  The last KISS block will be in either April or May.    The question was asked if these blocks could be brought back to the meeting and packaged up for someone to complete a donation quilt.  Yes, was the answer, however, this has not be brought up at the meeting for the entire guild to know.

Only 2 people have signed up for treats in March- so more people are needed.  April has a small group signed up so we should be good there.

Retreat- 18 have signed up and paid.  Payment needs to be in by the March meeting- the April meeting will be too late; since the deadline is April 4.  There will be a massage person and charges $70 per hour.  The sewing machine lady will charge $65 plus tax and accepts cash or check (no credit cards).  When signing up for the cleaning- also indicate what kind of machine you have.

Carol brought up a question concerning the “Every quilt has a story” feature she has been doing on Facebook.  Should quilts be featured by former members?  The answer was yes- since names aren’t used and some were photos that were taken at the quilt show.

Items are being taken to Winterset for sale at the Quilt Museum.  Last month only one candy bag sold.  This continues to get the AAQG name out in the community.

Donation quilts- 5 quilts were taken to Brother’s Keepers several larger ones went to Youth Homes of Mid America; 12 were taken to Kadie’s Kloset.  There are still 40 in the storage unit.

Janet DeJagar still needs a co-chair for the Quilt Show.  She is working 70 hours a week and will be in Denver a lot with her new position at work.  Kim, was going to be the chair next year will be working closely with Janet this year to learn the ropes of the quilt show.  For the food- Janet is unable to find an organization to do this.  Several meetings ago there was discussion about selling kits then what doesn’t sell to have members make the kits for sale at Santa North Pole Village. The kits would also be a higher price point- would people really purchase them?  After pricing how much a kit would cost and the kit not being was displayed this idea was nixed.  No one has stepped forward to head up Santa North Pole Village yet.  Janet announced that there were 8 vendors committed – in the past there have been 20 vendors.  She failed to get the reminder e-mail out to the vendors in a timely manner and will try to get it out and set the date in the future this next week.

If there are only 8 vendors present at the quilt show the show will take a major loss.  In April there will be a vote to drape or not to drape.  Janet handed out a sheet listing the pros and cons of the drape.  Long story short there is about $1000 difference in price.  She encouraged members to attend the committee meetings to help with the quilt show.

The meeting was adjourned.

Piecefully submitted,

Ramona Tapper